Greater Hood Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
© 2010 Greater Hood Memorial. All rights reserved.
160 West 146th Street, New York, NY 10039
call: (212) 281-3130
is the "Oldest Continuance" Black Church in Harlem. We are a congregation of believers who love the Lord, love one another and love to spread the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Greater Hood is a growing church that is not just about doing church as usual, but about ministering in a way that is relevant to the needs and concerns of the community. We believe that you cannot claim to love God whom you do not see and not love your brothers and sisters whom you see everyday. As a result, we will soon be partnering with the Salvation Army in the Jireh Meals program which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner for a nominal fee. In addition, we are in the process of incorporating our Greater Hood Memorial Community Based Corporation, which will look into ways to minister to those who have been diagnosed with Autism, as well as engage in other similar and community based endeavors.
One of the more celebrated ministries we have at Greater Hood is our famed Hip Hop Church. Hip Hop Church founded by Minster Kurtis Blow Walker, Rev. Stephen Pogue, a former pastor of Greater Hood and Bro. John Wright, has received world-wide acclaim for ministering to those who would not attend a regular Sunday Service. Every Thursday night @ 7:00P.M. we incorporate gospel rap, hip-hop beats, gospel music and the preached word in a contemporary worship service. Many have given their lives to the Lord through the Hip Hop Church experience.
Although our Hip Hop Church has received the notoriety that it has, Greater Hood Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church has so much more to offer than that. We would love for you to come and worship with us. If you do not have a church home please come and see what the Lord is doing at Greater Hood. We are on the cusp of going from a "good church" to a "great church."
At Greater Hood you will:
- Meet new people and get to know others who may have similar issues and concerns.
- Enjoy upbeat music with a contemporary flavor as well as traditional hymns and anthems mixed in with down home Southern and Caribbean gospel music.
- Hear positive and practical messages, which will encourage and nourish your spirit.
- Participate in small group sessions and thought provoking Bible Study that will enable you to grow in Christ.
- Your children will be embraced and will be able to attend services geared toward helping them reach their highest potential.
There is so much more to say, but instead of telling you, we would love to show you. Please give us a try as we invite you to be our special guests this and every Sunday @ 11:00 A.M.